On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:32:37 -0400
Mark Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Damian G wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:07:28 -0500
> > Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>What is up with this?  I installed KDE 3.0.3 (stable) thinking that surely by
> >>now the KDE people would have fixed the konsole-noxft problem.  Nope.  Still
> >>there.  You try to start konsole from the panel and the panel freezes and
> >>become useless until you close konsole at which point you get an error
> >>message about not being able to start konsole-noxft.
> >>
> >>This has been a ridiculous problem since kde 3 beta.  Does anyone have a
> >>_permanent_ fix for this?  In the past, before I dumped kde 3.0.1 and went
> >>back to 2.2.2, I was able to "fix" this problem for a session but next time I
> >>logged in it would re-appear, rendering my changes temporary.  I am terribly
> >>annoyed so forgive my tone but...C'MON!  Fix it already.  DUMP konsole-noxft
> >>forever!
> >>
> >>praedor
> >>

> > I also found that the 'fix' doesn't even last ONE sessions, and i've
> > seen it break more than once per session (i.e. once every hour, or right
> > after a visit to the control center... )
> >
> > wanna know how i fixed it? simple, i did the usual fix, and right
> > after that, i removed my write permission for that file. worked
> > ever since ( 30 hs and counting ;oP )
> >

> > Damian
>
> you're kidding, right? since installing kde3.x when the first packages
> came out and I discovered, as many others did, this strange unwanted
> behavior of the taskbar konsole shorcut hanging up upon execution, I've
> *Never* had to re-do the fix of this shortcut. that being the removal of

nope, the fix i do is to add the blank space that is missing..
(changing "konsole-noxft" to "konsole -noxft") but that blank
space DISSAPEARS. it just goes away, and your kicker bar starts freezing up again.

and it seems i'm not the first to find this behavior.

.......this reminds me of an issue with MPlayer's current CVS
relating to it's GUI frontend. on some systems with different keyboard/language
codesets, some settings get fscked right after the first time you run it
in GUI mode in such a way that it doesn't start anymore until you re-create
all config files. this is temporarily fixed by adding compile-time parameters...

this blank space dissapearing from a file may be a similar problem.

Damian

Damian