Many use spam assassin but I know nothing about it.  I use an app called
ricochet.  In kmail I create filters for spam that pipe it through ricochet.
Ricochet analyzes the spam's headers, determines if the email address is
faked (usually is) and also determines the appropriate abuse contacts for the
given spam.  It then emails the abuse contacts a nice email complaint
requesting that the abuse contact stop the spammer/investigate the spam,
provides the message and all the headers for this to be done, and warns of
legal remedies if action isn't taken to stop the spammer (all very polite -
though you can edit the message as you see fit).

I have all but eliminated much spam, particularly from sex sites and those
obnoxious BUSINESS PROPOSAL messages.

I do first test my filters in kmail by having it redirect spam to a spam
folder so I can check it when it starts filling up to make sure the filters
are good enough not to mistakenly filter non-spam.  I started doing this with
new filters because I have accidently sent spam complaints on people that
shouldn't have been hit.

Ricochet is a perl app that can be found at http://vipul.net/ricochet.

praedor