Mark Weaver wrote on Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:08:44AM -0400 :

> you can "use" as many as you want to, however, the system only
> recognizes and uses the first 8 characters of the string, so you're
> typing extra characters that aren't even being used.

Edit the file /etc/pam.d/system-auth.  Find the line:

password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok shadow

Change it to read:

password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow

This was a bug with the 8.2 install that would be fixed if you install
all the updates I believe (upgrade pam).

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
           MandrakeSoft USA   http://www.mandrakesoft.com
Mandrake: An amalgam of good ideas from RedHat, Debian, and MandrakeSoft.