I installed Mandrake 8.2 with Xfree on this system
with no problems.

I checked the md5 sums and they are correct.

The only thing I can think of is that Via C3 CPUs
don't like i686 optimization.  They need to use i586.

The error message pops up during the installation of
the Xfree rpm.  If I switch to console I see the error
is "bad package".

This system runs great on 8.2

Also someone else on the cooker list is having the
same problem with a VIA "eden" system.  It has the VIA
C3 CPU integrated into the motherboard.  Its a Mini-It
size board. They can run fanless (really quiet).  I
think the "Eden" system uses a trident video chipset.

Go to viaarena.com for more info on VIA C3 CPUs.

Robert.