Hi,

> I'm not 'guru' or 'core-unix/hardware' so I may be wrong... anyway, I
> also have a raid HPT372 motherboard so I did my searching and found out:
>
> 1) I think have seen HPT372 is 'reported' to be supported on kernel
> 2.4.19. Mandrake 8.2 comes with 2.4.18 by default, so you'll need to
> update or patch the kernel. I haven't done myself yet but as soon as I
> do some things before I'll try it to see if it fix it (or maybe you tell
> me how about before  O;-))

Good to know, thanks. I figure given the timing I'll just wait for 9.0's
release and get the updated kernel that way.

> 2) As far as I know, you can connect up to 2 drives in a single ide
> channel and each one will have its own bus speed, but if you access both
> of them at the same time you share the bandwith between them, so the
> more slow the drive is the more it will 'disturb' the other. Conclusion:
> try not to share ide channels if possible and if you have to, try not to
> share the most used/important ones and not to mix very quick ones with
> lamers ones...
>
> 3) Probably your motherboard will have a couple of ide belonging to
> HPT372 *AND* another couple of 'normal' ide channels, all fully
> operative at the same time. If so, you have a total of 4 ide channels
> (up to 8 ide drives!!!) what means you can connect the cdrom in one
> channel and still can put 3 more ide drives in 3 independent ide
> channels!!

Exactly my plan. The feeling of power is overwhelming! Mwah hah hah hah!

> Good luck...

thanks again.

p.s. I told Lyvim I'd see if DiskDrake would check if the disk on the
Highpoint controller showed up if it were already partitioned. The answer,
sadly, is still, No.