Terry Tremaine wrote on Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 03:27:55AM -0600 :
> Hello
>
> Does anyone know if there is an upper limit to the number of directories in
> an ext3 file system? I am working on an application which will require a
> different graphics directory for each of potentially thousands of subscribers
> to the system. So the graphics directory might 100,000 or more
> subdirectories.

Yes there is a limit.  IIRC, it's something like 32768.  You need to use
hashing.  For example, consider the files grmicro4453.jpg and
demicro2122.jpg.  They would be stored in a directory hash such as:
  g/r/grmicro4453.jpg
  d/e/demicro2122.jpg

The key is to not have all the files start with the same letters or
numbers, so that the hashing algorithm will work for you.  The example
above is 2 levels of hashing, but you can go as deep as you need to keep
the number of files per directory down.

Another thought is to use a fs type that is not subject to that
limitation.  Reiserfs comes to mind as the first possibility, but I
can't remember if that gets rid of that limitation.

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because