bascule wrote on Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 12:02:38AM +0100 :

> i have the following entries in my commonhttpd.conf:
> <Directory /var/www/html>
>     Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>     AllowOverride All
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory /path/to/files>
         Allow Override all
>         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
> </Directory>

In my example, I put those lines there.  Try it with the override
statement.  It's all I have to do on mine to make it work.

> does the '-' before 'Indexes' in the first section apply to all the options
> or just 'Indexes'?

Just indexes.

> the permissions of /path/to/files are 0755 so whatever user httpd runs as
> should be able to see them yes?

It runs as apache, but doesn't matter.  Yes it can see them.  If you
really want to test, just do 'su - apache' and then cd to the directory
and do an ls, do a cat, etc.

> do i have to restart httpd in a special way, i'm just 'killall httpd' and
> then 'httpd' ?

service httpd restart

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
...and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious
 anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my binaries, and you