I am hosting about 100 web sites on a Mandrake 8.2 server and have a best
practices question regarding the directories.

I have them set up as follows:
/usr/www/site1
/usr/www/site2
etc

Most of the sites are ones that the user updates themselves.  When I
create an account for them I use the web space for their home directory so
when they log in they are right in the directory.  My question's are:
1)Is this cool or something lame I learned the wrong way
2)What do you set the web files to in order to protect them from wandering
eyes?  Most users just use something like CuteFTP and drop the files, but
if someone wanted to log into the box they could wander and read other web
sites code.
Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott