On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 05:48, bascule wrote:
> 1s indeed, but now i have to wonder, 'how did that happen'?
> i didn't do it becasue until just now i had no idea about /proc/sys/net/ipv4
> icmp_echo*
>
> is there some known action or software install that would also set this?
>
> bascule

Could be (but not sure on some) msec bastille or your firewall rules
that set this this way.  Personally on my webservers I just turn ping
off... stops DoDs smurf attacks, gives the box a certain small level of
obscurity on the net.  (when crackers flood ping a subnet to see if
there is anything there.. mine don't show up.) I figure is I can ssh to
them and/or the web pages show up... the box must be working so I don't
need ping.

James