I consider myself a newbie, but I did (finally) manage to get a mail
server installed using postfix in a situation somewhat similar to
yours.  (I have a private LAN without a registered domain name and need
to relay my mail to my ISP for (SMTP) delivery.)

Try looking at
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/EmailInterimUpdate#Notes in the
paragraph on postfix -- it lists the three or four parameters I had to
change (on Mandrake 7.2) to get a mail server working.

(I have a lot more information on a postfix based email server on
WikiLearn, but a lot of it is very disorganized at this point -- I am
trying to straighten it out.  The following pages may be somewhat
helpful as well:
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/EmailServerSketches
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/EmailOverviewSketch

Randy Kramer