I have not installed 9.0 yet (waiting for disks) but last week I worked on my
8.2 installation to get these spanish characters and found they are not
defined in the xmodmap for us-international.  I inserted both exclamation and
question mark.  Incidentally, how did you type the symbol in your e-mail?
Did you use another machine?