On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 17:34:05 +0100 Azrael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> topic: alcatel speedtouch usb adsl modem on Mandrake 9.0
>
> I decided to start all over again.
>
> Installed Mdk9.0 from scratch, totally formatting over the old one.
> The installation recognised my USB mouse and it worked fine.
>
> The installation reached the network detection part, and I allowed it to
> proceed. It detected my ethernet (intel) card, but not the speedtouch. I
> selected the adsl option anyway, aswell as network card, to
> install/configure. The NIC all went ok, the adsl -> alcatel failed due
> to needing mgmt.o and told me where to put it.
>
> I then booted into the new system, placed mgmt.o where it is supposed to
> be, and went though internet configuration again.
>
> Once again the NIC was recognised, and adsl not (tick in the box next to
> the NIC option, no tick for adsl).
>
> All the time, my USB mouse works.
>
> Went into harddrake2 and my USB controllers are both there.
>
> The alcatel is plugged into the same slot as it has always been. It
> works in windows. And used to work in Mdk8.2.
>
> The only difference between the current setup, and previous setup, is
> that my partitions have all changed around a bit. But I see no reason
> for this to make a difference. Also I now have a firewire card. Again, I
> don't see why this makes any difference. But I have taken out the
> firewire card anyway. So future trials will not be affected by it.

I've come to life again because I had problems with my setup a long time ago
... and, now that you mention Ethernet, all this sounds familiar.

I have onboard Ethernet (3C905) and the Speedtouch, and there were some
curious USB effects, right up to the USB bus not being recognised on boot
(!), until I disabled the Ethernet in the BIOS. (It turned out to be
unnecessary as I had been hoping for cable modem service, with an Ethernet
connection, to happen; it didn't. As I don't use serial or parallel ports I
disabled them as well for good measure).

So, if Ethernet isn't strictly necessary, either remove the card entirely or
disable it in the BIOS then run the networking wizard and _manually_ select
the Speedtouch. (I don't trust auto-detection, and also run printerdrake by
hand after installation because of a couple of lockups earlier with my
rather cranky Z42).

If the Ethernet has to be there, or this fails, I'm really stuck (promise) :)

Alastair