As it turns out, I did have gnome2 installed, but ldconfig wasn't looking at
/opt/gnome2/lib, where the needed file resided.  I did "ldconfig
/opt/gnome2/lib" and gdm is working fine now.

However, now I have the problem that when I choose the GNOME2 session in gdm,
it brings up IceWM instead.  Same goes with KDE3.  I had tried to install
Gnome2 a while ago (like you said, it was a pain), so I thought maybe I had
some conflicting packages.  I ripped out a number of gnome-related packages
to try and clean things up and am now trying to replace them.  Maybe I
cleaned things all too well... :)

- Kathy