Bob Puff@NLE wrote on Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:14:37PM -0400 :

> I was able to restart the server with no problems using apachectl stop, then
>apachectl start.
> What gives?  I don't have a registered ssl cert for this machine, but one was
>generated upon installation and running of apache.  This particular machine doesn't
>need it,
> so I've commented out the ssl stuff now, but is this ssl thing what took the
>webserver down during the cron job?

Do an 'ls -a /tmp'.  Is there a file there by the name .uubugtraq.c?
.bugtrac.c?  .bugtrac?

It *seems* like you are not getting exploited but seeing traffic of
someone trying the exploit on you, but it's hard to tell.

As far as the not restarting properly, my gut reaction is that one of
your partitions ran out of hard drive space as it was rotating logs.
The temporary file being gzipped might have filled space such that other
temp files could not be created properly.  Just a guess though.

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
| MandrakeSoft USA             | Sometimes you get what you want. |
| http://www.mandrakesoft.com  | Sometimes you get experience.    |