On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:12:31 -0400 et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 04 October 2002 05:37 pm, you wrote:
> > It seems every time a new distro hits the street, one or more of my
> > systems decides it wants attention...  yup...  I get weird problems,
> > usually right after the latest distro has been downloaded -- this is
> > not the first time...
> >
> > 9.0 not yet installed anywhere when LM8.2 decides to act up --
> > trying to transfer a file via scp causes my ppp link to hang -- it
> > will not pass a single byte from any application.  Trying to send
> > the same oowriter file via e-mail (from sylpheed) causes the ppp
> > link to hang...  retried 7-8 times... same thing...  hangs after
> > sending a few packets... go figure...
> >
> > kppp lights and modem lights confirm NOTHING is being sent.
> >
> > Not expecting any answer since this machine will get 9.0 in about 3
> > weeks -- just thought I'd pass on my latest New Distro Twilight Zone
> > episode...
> >
> > :^Pierre
> are we "sure" that file you are trying to send or copy is not open
> (and being added to or written to) to some user some where?

Yup...  besides...  I can scp the file to a LAN attached laptop; but not
over ppp to my remote server.  This machine can't email large files, yet
receives the same file fine which was sent via ppp from the laptop
(reversed the roles of the desktop/laptop for the test).

I had ppp0 up when I configured the desktop for 'sharing' earlier
today...  at the time, the link dropped and I could hear the modem dial
out several times to an invalid number (modem speaker is normally off)
-- finished the sharing config and all seemed fine except for this new
problem...

Oh well...  will be installing 9.0 next time I visit this box in a few
weeks...

Pierre