On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 06:29, James Sparenberg wrote:

> > > hmmm is it possible to ssh as a user and then su to root? would that not be
> > > more secure?
> > >

> > What's the point in doing that way? When you use ssh, the communication
> > is encrypted. I don't see the advantage of ssh as a normal user first.
>
> >From having had it save my buns... Big advantage is that you know who
> su'd to root.  I had a boy genius who "discovered" root from one of my
> employee's logged in su'd and made some changes he wanted ... ie opening
> up some ports for a file sharing software that he wanted to use company
> bandwidth for.  The only reason we caught it was because of the su...
> now granted this has been a couple of years but it does illustrate a
> use.  (One reason I like the BSD style su over linux) The advantage....
> paper trail so to speak.
>
> James

Well theres always sudo if you don't like the root password going over
the wire (even encrypted, <paranoia>every few months it seems there is
another security fix out</paranoia>) or other people knowing it who have
admin work to do. Its a good way to limit the damage to the system by
limiting access to certain resources to each user that may need "root"
access to complete a task. And well if they aren't given access to a
program they can't run it. And yes sudo does log successful &
unsuccessful attempts if you like that kind of thing in your life (& you
probably should).

But back to the "/root" question, it helps to have the "Ever So Smooth"
Dr. root's home on the boot partition for logins if you can't mount
"/home". I don't think it was for failsafe as much as the convenience of
having your settings in a secure place and available to you even if you
can't mount "/home". You can always create a "/home" directory on the
"/" partition with a backup normal user dir and copy it to the new
partition then mount "/home" (other partition) over "/home:" (root
partition) and then you would have a "/home" dir for a normal user even
if you couldn't mount the "/home" dir (useful (critical even) if you
have root logins disabled).

---
Kiran