Hmm, I just installed 9.0 a few days ago, on two machines, and each with
a separate /root partition.  Seemed to work fine.  (In both cases, the
/root partition is (1) a primary partition, and (2) physically before
the / partition (i.e., /root has a lower hda "number").)

Am I misunderstanding the question, or ?

Randy Kramer