Yo,
If you reconfigure your display settings in Mandrake Control Center, it
will ask you if you want to start X after boot up. Just tell it no. If
that don't work, just delete the start-up script in the appropriate
runnlevel. Usually it's runnlevel 5, on mien it's rc5.d/S30dm for
display manager.
Hope that helps.