Hi,

I have a Sis 630/730 Video card and X freezes on me the moment I move the
mouse a couple of times. Without moving the mouse, it seems to work fine.
Initially, I thought it was a problem with ps/2 mouse and so tried the
other mice variants (serial/usb), but its the same problem. Attached below
is some tests that I did on my machine initially when I thought that mouse
was the problem.

Later, I found out that Xfree86 3.3.6 had support for sis 630 but the
newer XFree86 server (4.2) which is distributed with mandrake 9.0 does not
have well tested support for sis 630. I tried using the older server
(3.3.6), but it still crashes. The crash is complete, the mouse, keyboard
are locked and I cant ping/ssh to the machine. Hard reboot is the only
option.

Has anybody else had this problem with the Sis cards? BTW, Win 2k does
fine on the same card.

What are my options if the problem is really that the X server does not
work well with the SIS 630 card? Buy another well supported card?
If so, which are the well supported cards that people have which did not
create any problems with the X distributed with 9.0 ?

Thanks.
        - Abhijeet