I think this is related to what you are doing but I'm not sure.  I've
found both in Linux and in BSD that they read the cards on the PCI bus
in either a bottom to top or a top to bottom order. (Linux does one
FreeBSD does the other and I can't remember which is which right now.)
I'm running a slower nic to my cable modem than to my Lan (Cable is less
than 10mbps so why not?)  What I found was that in order to have the
cards and *nix in sync I had to reverse the physical location of the the
cards in the PCI slots.  Then it auto recognized the other card as eth0
and I assigned IP's accordingly.  This worked... Don't know why it
happens and since it works never really tried to find out. It was just
the only way I could get the slower card to be connected to the outside
world and have my lan connectivity right as well.  It's an older pent
233 system so that may affect things as well (still has ISA slots)

James