On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:58, Craig Williamson (ENZ) wrote:
3.  With the RandR extension hopefully coming to the next release of
> Mandrake, some of the Control Centre will be made redundant.  Redesign it
> for QT/KDE based rather than GTK based.  Mandrake is a KDE-pro company, are
> they not?  I'm not sure on the politics why they decided to go the GTK way,
> but they should really concentrate on one desktop/toolkit and improve that
> (lycoris like?).

Ranger (as I recall) and the odd developer have in the past said why it
was done the way it was.... they seemed like good reasons to me ;-)

>       5.  The package support really get me personally.  Why do they
> include pre-release/beta versions of software in the OFFICIAL stable
> release.  Mandrake 9.1 should only concentrate on released versions of
> packages.   That is where the reliability and security problems come in.

Take for instance Quanta, which is a beta in 9.0.  I use this a lot.  I
don't there was a choice regarding putting in a beta of that package.
The old version was KDE2 only.  The beta version included seems pretty
good, certainly superior to the old version for what I need to do.
(Version 3 of Quanta is a requested RPM in Mandrake Club).

As for the idea of looks for KDE and Gnome, I tend to agree that a bit
of focus on this could be good -- there is a lot happening in this area
in the last few months, which is great!

Damon
(also a kiwi)