For what it's worth Dep't.
Removed the existing installation of licq with urpme,
installed again with urpmi, still no go except as root.
NOTE:
Symtoms are with links on desktop or panel.
END NOTE.
Again I removed licq with urpme then downloaded the latest from cooker.
Installed with urpmi, same-o same-o ! !
Switched users and launched with the menu link
OK, I sez, let's try it with user charles, YUP, it worked there too..
Soooooo, there must be something with a user making application links that
prevent some or all programs from launchng.. Now I'm wondering if that has
anything to do with the ZIP drive problems, Hm..