mike wrote:
[..]
I really want to have a viable firewall set-up first. at least then I
could continue to look for help without compromising my home network.
any advice is very much welcomed, as I really really want to move on to
9.0 and beyond.

Mike McNeese
I went from the tinyfirewall to shorewall and hit the wall, also. What I use is guarddog. I got it from cooker contribs while cooker was still frozen at 9.0 and it probably has not changed since:

$ rpm -q guarddog
guarddog-2.0.0-2mdk

I just followed the help link to the kde handbook guarddog tutorial after calling guarddog as root, and was able to figure it out without too much pain. Still learning about opening my own ports, such as tcp 37 for rdate.