I hope someone can help me with this... :-)

I've got a Travan TR-4 (IDE) tape drive in my system.  It's in the slave
spot on the IDE cable in IDE controller 1, with the CD-ROM in the master
position.  When I fire up Mandrake Control Center and click on "Hardware"
in the left-hand side of the display, it identifies the tape drive as being
on /dev/hdd.

Trying to run the Mandrake supplied backup software and specifying a tape
drive of /dev/hdd doesn't work.  It just says no such device.  In fact,
when I do a "ls -la /dev/hdd," I get a no such file message.

What do I have to do to create the appropriate link at this point to make
things work?  I suspect that MAKEDEV is involved, but I'm not sure what
parameters should be used and so on.

Any help would be appreciated!

                  --Dave
--