When it "shuts down" what happens if you try to ssh into it.  If it's a
web server does it still serve web pages?  If it does I'd be inclined to
suspect that perhaps apm or APIC (hope I got the right acronym here.) is
trying to put the box to sleep.  If so turn off or even remove apm from
the box and boot with an append of "noapic".

James