On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:54 am, D. R. Evans scribbled in crayon on a
yellow legal pad:
> Ah! That wasn't the answer, but to find out what chip it uses (since it
> sure ain't obvious on the mobo) I went to the HP web site and there saw a
> reference to "ProSavageDDR KM266 graphics". So I switched from vesa to
> savage, and it now works.

I have the same chip in my HP1210 laptop. Mandrake 9.0 autodetected the chip,
but not the display; the generic 1024x768 LCD display works fine. No 3D
support drom XFree86, however. There is a variant of the driver available at
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html that I have not yet tried. They
provide a binary driver and other interesting stuff there.

--
Hoyt
http://www.maximumhoyt.com

A train stops at a train station. A bus stops at a bus station. This explains
the problem with my workstation.