From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:expert-owner@;linux-mandrake.com]On Behalf Of Vincent Danen
Sent: Friday, 1 November 2002 5:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Ive been hacked!

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 01:26 PM, Bill Beauchemin wrote:

> I wasa running a much older version of apache and openssl that i
> thought
> were ok but nooooooooo I guess this hack works with even the old stuff.
> I also didnt think somebody would be interested in my little private
> home email and web server. Oh well I learned my lesson. Now I ogts to
> go
> and get the apache, openssl, and the modssl patches.

A few tips.  First, the updates are there to fix problems in older
versions.  Chances are, if there is an update for it, it's because you
*need* it.  We don't make updates just for kicks, and we don't provide
updates for software that isn't vulnerable.  IIRC, if you were running
apache 1.0, you would need the update.

Secondly, your private home email/web server is a preferred target.
Why?  Because of exactly your thinking.  "No one will be interested in
it".  It is much easier to hack into someone's machine with a
laxidazy(sp?) attitude towards security.  It also helps to hide the
trail.  If someone can hack into your machine, and then use it as a
springboard to the machine they *really* want, the better for them.  To
the end victim, it looks like the attack is coming from you, which it
is.  That means they will attempt to deal with *you*, rather than the
real perpetrator.  To that end, yes, it's more appealing to someone
wanting to break into amazon.com, to break into your machine first.  Or
four machines, similar to yours, springboarding from one machine to the
next, hiding their trail, until the end of the line machine (after
having accomplished four hops or so) is used to attack the real target.

The short and long of it is:  Never *ever* assume you will not be a
target.  They may not be interested in your data, but they may be
interested in your connection, CPU, etc.  And update update *update*!
Updates are done for your benefit, not ours.

I know it sucks to have this happen to you, but hopefully this will
serve as a lesson both to yourself and many other people who have had
the same attitude as you.  =)

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx - source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"