Gregory K. Meyer wrote:
On Sunday 03 November 2002 11:54 am, Jack Coates wrote:

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 06:11, . wrote:

    I could use some help with msec.  I found in the documentation how
you can use the /etc/security/msec/perm.local file to allow for
modifying permissions of a file.  My problem is with modifying a file.
 I've got a firewall running at security level 3.  I want to modify some
files like /etc/syslogd.conf and /etc/issue{.net};  However, msec keeps
"undoing" my changes.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory

edit /usr/share/msec/perm.3 and make the changes you want.

Or make your own rules in the Mandrake Control Center, which are supposed to
overide the defaults for each level.  I think it is Security -- Security
Permissions applet.  Choose editable from the drop down, and enter your
rules.

    Right, and that makes a /etc/security/perm.local file, right?  This is a firewall, so it has no gui, but I created that file manually.  I put the /etc/syslog.conf file in the perm.local file with it's original owner, group, and permissions.  I didn't want to change any of that, I just wanted msec to quit overlaying my changes within the file.  If I modify the entry in perm.local to change ownership or permissions, will that get msec to leave it alone?  Otherwise, I don't see how the perm.local file helps me in this situation.

Thanks,
Cory