And yet curiously, when you run DiskDrake, the first message you get is an
injunction to ensure that your data is backed up  >o>

Anytime you decide to re-partition or resize your drive(s) you are dicing
with (disk) disaster.  It is pointless to complain afterwards about the
effects of a repartition/resize not working as you expected.

It is certainly possible, using partition Magic, for example, to resize and
repartition disks and partitions containing live data -and it works (sorry
maybe that should be 'AND IT WORKS!!!!!' to convey the appropriate level of
incredulity)

The fact is that spreading files across disk partitions just for ordinary,
everyday usage is a major feat of engineering.  Expecting to be able to
tinker with those layouts risk free is perhaps more than a little optimistic.

At least you retained your /home  directories.

regards

Daryl