I have an older Nomad player (mp3) from creative which takes 128MB smart
media cards.  I used to look around on the net for others that might be
using it under linux and I found one person with a project that never
really made it very far.  Rio seems to have some kind of kernel support,
but that's the only one I've seen for linux.  My 'brainstorm' was that
since my smart media card is removeable, I would just plug a card reader
into the computer and transfer files like you would a floppy for example.
I've got that plugged into my imac for now because I already had a card
reader that worked on it and I didn't feel like buying another one that
was linux ready.  Anyway, my suggestion is this; before you buy, find out
what kind of media it uses and if you can spend $20 on a linux type media
reader for it - it's easier than using that screwy software that comes
bundled anyway.

Another note; quite a few mp3 players are shipping with hard drives now -
one in particular which I can't remember the name of, doubles as an
external usb hard drive.  Just make an entry in /etc/fstab and you should
be able to transfer files just like any other external drive.

Take a look around CompUSA (or any computer store for that matter) and
you'll see what I'm talking about.

Mike

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

      Bad or missing mouse driver. Spank the cat? (Y/N)