Hey Simon,
This is what I did:

cd to /usr/src/2.4.19-xx

make mrproper                   (didn't bother saving .config since I
hadn't put anything in it yet.)
edit makefile changing extraversion to 'mikescustom'
delete /lib/modules/2.4.19-xx   (as instructed to if you're not patching
your kernel)
make menuconfig  (load /boot/config)
make dep
make clean bzImage modules
make modules_install install

I'm think that since I'm changing the extraversion entry in the makefile
that it should create a new modules directory under /lib/modules and that
I may not have to delete the old one - at least then I should be able to
do the work around, which is 'modprobe loop'.  I tried restarting service
devfsd last night, but there was no rescuing from where I was at, so I
reloaded mdk 9.0 and I'm planning to try rebuilding again today.  Any
thoughts on that plan of action?  I would love any suggestions.

Thanks, Mike

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

      Bad or missing mouse driver. Spank the cat? (Y/N)