From: "Franki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [expert] hard disk booting issue IBM PC.
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 06:00:33 +0800

Hi guys,

I've finially decided to fix an issue that has bothered me for ages,, I'm
just not sure its possible..

so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Anyway, I've got a 300PL IBM PC.

Its got a 40gig hard disk in it..

by itself the bios doesn't recognise the drive (see's it as an 8gig).. so I
bought a PCI controller card and plugged it in.

after hooking it all up, the card's bios see's the drive and reports its
stats perfectly..

but I still can't boot from it... I still need to use a boot floppy.

I've tried installing lilo in different places with different configs, but I
am not sure what else I can do.

regards

Frank

Here is the drive stats:

hdparm -i /dev/hda

Model=IC35L040AVER07-0, FwRev=ER4OA46A, SerialNo=SXPTXK70835
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=80418240
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1: 2 3 4 5

and the controller type: (from /var/log/dmesg)

CMD649: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 68
CMD649: chipset revision 2
CMD649: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later