Yes, file system on software raid devices are reiserfs. But I thought
they the warnings were the culprit of not being able to upgrade to MDK
9.0:

I tried to upgrade to MDK 9.0 from a 8.2 box but no luck. It fails when
rebuilding RPM database. The most curious thing is that when aborting
and rebooting back to the 'old' MDK 8.2, the file /etc/raidtab has been
removed!!!

This has happened in both Upgrade option and in Upgrade Only RPMs option
and it seems that the only file removed is /etc/raidtab or at least when
recovered from backup everything seems to work again.

My system is:
/ --> /dev/hdc5
/boot --> /dev/hdc1
/usr --> /dev/md0   Raid0(/dev/hda13+/dev/hdc8)
/var --> /dev/md2   Raid0(/dev/hda11+/dev/hdc6)
/home --> /dev/md3   Raid0(/dev/hda12+/dev/hdc7)
swap --> /dev/hda14 + /dev/hde11

Yes, I have no /dev/md1 device configured, but when I go in single mode
and edit this in /etc/raidtab and do a raidstop of everything an try to
raidstart each /dev/md* ,  they appear in /proc/mdstat as the old
setting (and of course the started raid device is the old setting one as
shown in mdstat). It's like if the raid device label were 'hardcoded'
inside the partition chunk/header so it overrides /etc/raidtab  ??

That's why when I saw all those warnings, specially the 'Error reading
superblock' message, I thought they were the culprit of not being able
to update and of the messing up of /etc/raidtab

Any hint?? (Some times I feel weird as the problems I face/cause are
weird too!!! ;)

--
           Diego  Dominguez
              __/\__