Hi,

Are you connected to your LAN OR local network OR internet while starting KDE or are you just starting the machine without any network interfaces attached to it?

In any case, try appending your machine name at the end of the first line in /etc/hosts. For example.... a standard /etc/hosts provided with mandrake is as follows .....

sandeepk@sandeepk ~ $ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
sandeepk@sandeepk ~ $

And, my machine name is "sandeepk" ....this is without the domainname. Since, the domainname is dynamically obtained via DHCP (especially for mobile laptops.....I have one domainname in the office, one at home, one at school, ...)

So, I just append my machine name "sandeepk" without the domainname at the end of ..... "127.0.0.1 localhost ...... sandeepk"
So, now it looks like this....

sandeepk@sandeepk ~ $ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost sandeepk
sandeepk@sandeepk ~ $

Without this, I have seen both KDE and GNOME having problems (slow, no login at all, etc) while logging in. Also, I have seen this problem only in Mandrake but, not in Redhat !!!

Altough this may not be exactly what you wanted, but maybe one of the solutions to your problem. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sandeep

Roger Munoz wrote:

hello

I'm running mandrake 9.0 with kde3.0.4 on an IBM thinkpad T22..

When i load up kde it takes two minutes before the splash screen appears.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks

Roger

Sandeep Khanna
Graduate Student in Computer Science, Villanova University
Contact Number: (Home) 1-610-964-1320 (Office) 1-877-946-4622 Ext (106) (Cell) 1-267-253-6808

Quote of the day:

Failure is the foundation of truth. It teaches us what isn't true, and that is a great beginning. To fear failure is to fear the possibility of truth.
--Joan Chittister