Brian Schroeder wrote:
When I bought my system a couple of years ago, I got it with a
Creative Vibra 128 sound card, and disabled the onboard soundchip -
as you have done.  Mandrake 7.2 happily noticed all this and loaded
the driver for card.

Since then, with all subsequent upgrades, it has always ignored the
card and loaded the driver for the onboard soundchip, as is happening
for you.  (Fortunately, this driver still works for the sound card,
just not as well as the right one would.)

I have not been able to fix it.  So, if you do get an answer, please
let me know too.

Brian Schroeder

hi brian,
first of all you have to find out which driver/module goes for your soundcard. (-> hardware database on mandrake homepage).
than you have to add two lines for this soundcard in the /etc/modules.conf file (here the example for my soundcard):
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

reboot the computer and configure the mixers.
that's it!

regards,
andreas