Just for laughs, the next time this happens, try hitting CTRL+ALT+F7.

It almost sounds like your system is switching to a different virtual terminal
(and #7 is the default that dm sets up on...)

If this is the case, however, I have no idea why it's happening...

-Jason

--

- "You pay for it before you eat it? What happens if it's dreadful?"