Hello all:

I have installed Mandrake9 on a IBM Thinkpad TP23 ( config: Windows XP
on had 22GB, Mandrake 22GB, Lucent Winmodem(detected but informed that I
need a third party driver), Hitachi DVD-ROM ultrabay, Intel E100 builtin
card,DWL-650 wireless card based on Prism2 chipset on pcmcia) with Grub
as my boot loader.

This machine does not have a built in wireless card.

I installed a workstation with a few additions to the standard install
and
did the update towards the end of the installation.
Now I would like to have my DWL-650 wireless card working. The machine
has a built in e100 and it was properly detected.

I am new to Mandrake but very familiar to RedHat. I was very happy to
note that my card was detected (wlan_cs) but it was the wrong type.

So I went to the folder called /3rdparty and found that there were
precompiled versions of prism2_cs driver which is what my card uses.
I modified the /etc/pcmcia/config file to change the driver for the
Intersil Prisim II to read prism2_cs instead of wlan_cs. Also I added on
my /etc/modules.conf alias wlan0 prism2_cs
I rebooted and my card beeped 2times like before and then I got a steady
green light
Upon lsmod I found that prism2_cs was loaded and so was p80211 and ds
and yenta_socket.

Also upon startup the pcmcia notified that it was going to start
./network wlan0 ( this prompted me to add the alias mentioned before, so
I did have to reboot before to make this happen).

Now when I type iwconfig wlan0 I get no wireless information.

My access point is a DL-1000AP with 128 WEP encryption enabled.
I read the wlan-ng readme and it looks like
a) this driver reads a different set of config files. If so how can I
find out what version of the driver I have ( came with mandrake 9).
b) Has anyone run into this scenario ? If so could you kindly post what
your experiences are.

I think I am very close to get it working out of the box but missing
some important config files. Maybe they are there in my box but I am
just not sure where mandrake puts the files. Also all the files are .gz
but when I do a insmod to insert a module it sees to read the gz file
and loads it ( kind of different from Red Hat).

Thanks
Bharath