On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 17:25, Perry Ler wrote:

> anyone knows which application is controlling the hosts.deny?
> if i have an ip been throw into this file, which application shld i
restart so that box from that ip can come into the server again? The
only method i know is rebooting the machine but that is kind of stupid.

tcp_wrappers acts on the contents of the file, portsentry _or possibly
other stuff_ writes into the file. Portsentry is the most likely
culprit, but there's things like snort plugins that could do it.

> how do i get the proftpd to access connection? i have edited the
xinetd and hosts.allow file but all failed to allow connection through.
can someone help me on this?

I don't touch FTP any more, sorry. Too much of a PITA compared to http
and scp.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...