I tried the first step and for whatever reason, it would mount the floppy,
but gave IO errors whenever I tried to access the mount point.

So, I did the second item. The syntax I had to use was:

mknod 0 b 2 0

and I created the "0" device in the directory you specified and linked it. I
then retried mounting and "lo and behold", the magic happened!

Thank You James!

Now I need to add the floppy to the "removable device" menu at the desktop.
Again, Thank You!