After using Mandrake 9.0 with kdm for a month without any problems, kdm
suddenly does not allow any window manager and always runs failsafe window.

It could have happened after unclean shutdown, but I'm using reiserfs
journaling.

I was able to run kdm configuration from KDE control center and create a
default kdm config, but it did not help. I also tried to delete the entire contents of /tmp, with no effect. There is no relevant information in .xsession-errors.

--
Milos Prudek