François Desloges wrote:

Hi!

I've a PCI modem card in a freshly installed Mandrake 9.0 box

lspci -v gives me:

<snip>
00:09.0 Communication controller: TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp TP560 Data/Fax/Voice 56k modem
Subsystem: TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp TP560 Data/Fax/Voice 56k modem
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
I/O ports at e800 [size=8]
<snip>

Nobody else seems to use IRQ 5 i/O ports at e800
and dmesg gives me:

<snip>
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IR Q SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
<snip>

It founds my 2 onboard serial ports, but not the modem. I know from an other machine with a detected PCI modem, that it should have found an other ttyS for irq 5 before the IDE detection.

How make linux detect it ?

FD

My first guess would be that it's a winmodem. Check here http://www.linmodems.org/ and
here http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html