Praedor Tempus wrote on Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:29:36AM -0500 :

> I have recently setup postfix on my desktop to be my MTA, both sending and
> receiving (with fetchmail).  I get emails in /var/spool/mail/praedor as
> expected and can see them with pine and if I  do "ls /var/spool/mail" I see
> the praedor mailbox.

Which is in mbox format.

> In kmail (KDE 3.0.3) I changed my receiving host to local mail using maildir

Which is fundamentally incompatible with what you have above.

> format.  In the selection window provided it had /var/spool/mail/praedor
> exactly as it should.  If I select it, however, and check mail I get an
> error:
> "cannot open ://var/spool/mail/praedor"

Because /var/spool/mail/praedor is a file, not a directory.  Maildir
must have directories underneath it like this:
[root@samba1 /]# du /home/todd/Maildir/
77      /home/todd/Maildir/cur
30510   /home/todd/Maildir/new
1       /home/todd/Maildir/tmp
29      /home/todd/Maildir/.VPN/cur
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.VPN/new
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.VPN/tmp
34      /home/todd/Maildir/.VPN
86      /home/todd/Maildir/.Sent/cur
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Sent/new
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Sent/tmp
95      /home/todd/Maildir/.Sent
17      /home/todd/Maildir/.Arkeia/cur
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Arkeia/new
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Arkeia/tmp
22      /home/todd/Maildir/.Arkeia
17      /home/todd/Maildir/.Trash/cur
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Trash/new
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Trash/tmp
26      /home/todd/Maildir/.Trash
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Drafts/cur
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Drafts/new
1       /home/todd/Maildir/.Drafts/tmp
10      /home/todd/Maildir/.Drafts
30791   /home/todd/Maildir

For the above to work, I have following in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

# The trailing slash is VERY important.  Without the slash means
# mbox format.  With the slash means maildir format.
home_mailbox = Maildir/
mail_spool_directory = /home

Postfix cannot create the directory structure if it doesn't exist.  You
must create it yourself with 'maildirmake /home/todd/Maildir' for the
example above.  This is one case where qmail-ldap has an edge because it
can be made to automatically create the required directory structure
(important since the users exist only in ldap, they are not real users
on the system).

> Next, since kmail seems to be prepending an unneeded "/" on the default
> directory I altered the entry to be simply "var/spool/mail/praedor".  Now,

:)  Same thing.  The trailing slash means maildirs, which is a
directory.  No trailing slash means mbox, which is a single file.

Blue skies...                   Todd
- --
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
  that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
   Cooker Version mandrake-release-9.1-0.1mdk Kernel 2.4.20-0.4mdk