Narfi Stefansson had the solution to my problem. I had to turn on the APIC in
the BIOS. I did get ML 9.0 to install but I had a lot of trouble with the
network plus I had a heck of a time getting some other apps to work
(especially xsane). I think most of my trouble was with setting too high of a
security level (msec 4) but I didn't discover that until I reinstalled  ML
8.2. It was my understanding that level 4 was good if you're running servers
but I couldn't connect to the servers after the install because msec placed
the following line in hosts.deny:

ALL:ALL EXCEPT 127.0.0.1:DENY

Because cron was running msec, it wasn't effective to remark out or remove
that line since the next time cron ran msec, msec would reinsert that line.
So, what's the point in offering that security level if you can't access the
servers?? It's a good thing I didn't use the Paranoid security setting!

Also, Mandrake did some different things with the source tree beginning with
ML 8.2 that my Aironet make didn't like (such as the absence of
../pcmcia-cs-<version>/). Since neither ML 8.2 nor 9.0 installed the airo
driver I found that I had to manually install the airo driver that came with
those 2 distros. Since Cisco is considered a "Cadillac", why isn't there
better support for Cisco cards and why do I have to ALWAYS manually install
the driver? This has been true since I began with ML 7.2.

I have another strange problem with essid for the Aironet card. Even though I
reformatted all the paritions on my SCSI drive (containing /, /usr, /var and
swap) except for swap, it starts up with an essid from a different internet
provider.   My /home partition is on a IDE drive and that's the only
partition on that HD. Since I didn't format the /home partition, I began
looking for a config file there (which I didn't find any wireless config
files there, of course). Entering the value using the Cisco utility software
and with MCC made no difference because a reboot loaded the wrong essid
again. I suppose that I'll put iwconfig <parameters> in /etc/rc.local until I
get this figured out. I guess I should have deleted all the partitions on the
SCSI drive and re-partition?

So many problems, so little time. :-(