On Saturday 30 November 2002 07:17 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 15:48, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 November 2002 03:27 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > > I'll second chrootkit.  I actually use it pro-actively on all of my
> > > servers and re-actively on ones people suspect have been hacked and
> > > want me to test.  It has found problems and from what one of my friends
> > > tells me ... a hacker (They managed to find a "salesman" who was
> > > creating his own network for file sharing by root kitting company
> > > servers.)
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > James:
> > C'mon -- a salesman smart enough to hack a server on purpose? I just
> > can't believe it. They're the guys who were the inspiration for all of
> > the cupholder jokes.
>
> How much intelligence does it take to download script kiddy scripts and
> run them?  If it took intelligence 90% of the hackers would be back
> trying to figure out how to get unlimited turns in pong.
>
> James

James:
We're talking salesmen here -- living proof that the Neanderthals did
survive. Fast forward to some time in the future when medical science has
perfected brain transplants.
Doctor: "I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. You have a brain tumor, and
the only thing that I can do for you is a brain transplant."
Patient: "Wow, that's scary. How much is that going to cost?"
Doctor: "It depends on what kind of brain that we transplant. The cost is
based on the weight of the brain. For example, a brain from an ordinary
person runs $1,000 a pound. Now, if you can afford more, you can have an
engineer's brain for $3,000 a pound. About the same for programmers. The
going rate for doctors' and lawyers' brains is $7,500 a pound. And then there
are rocket scientists' brains; figure $10,000 to $12,000 a pound."
Patient: "Gee, that sounds expensive."
Doctor: "Not really. Salesmen's brains run $100,000 a pound."
Patient: "Why are salemsen's brains so expensive?"
Doctor: "Actually it's pretty cheap when you figure how many salesmen we have
to kill to get a pound of brains."
-- cmg