Hi,

I suppose you only have one DSL connection, connected to only one
ethernet interface. It will be this interface's mac that's used for
autenthication with your DSL provider. The other NIC's and their resp.
MAC addresses are not taken into account for connecting your DSL.

So, as long as your outgoing connection only uses 1 IP address, there
won't be a problem, no mather wich and how many NIC's / IP's you use for
your internal LANs. Of course, if you are provided with only one
registered, public available IP address, you will use NAT to hide your
internal configuration from the outside world.

>From your configuration, I think 3 NICs will suffice:

1 connected to DSL provider
1 for your office subnet
1 for your servers subnet

Each interface will have a primary IP.
Outgoing traffic to your provider will be masqueraded, unlike ip-traffic
between your office and servers subnet.

If you want to host a number of services on this router/gateway, you can
choose to assign some more virtual IP-addresses to your internal
interfaces (office/servers subnet).

To control and protect the traffic, you have several options. Bundled
with linux mandrake comes shorewall (9.0) - controlled with mandrake
control panel, guarddog (don't know if it's in standard edition,
mandrake packages are available on the developer's site) - provides it's
own graphical user interface to control the rules, and a bunch of other
tools from very low to higher level control.

Regards,

Lieven

--
Lieven Van Acker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>