FRLinux wrote:
Hello,

I've been playing around devfs on Mandrake 9.0 and yet cannot make it
work the expected way. The goal is to get a winmodem recognised as
/dev/ttyHSF0. It is an integrated device on a Sony Vaio (connexant
chipset). All works well without devFS but i have decided to make it
work with it.

The main problem I have is the device not being recognised. I use
drivers provided by http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/ . This provides a
tar.gz where you just need to install modules by make install. You then
run hsfconfig to get the modules compiled on your current kernel. It
will then create a devfs config file called /etc/devfs/conf.d/hsf.conf .
The script is saying that all worked well :
Compilation and installation of HSF modules succeeded.
Your HSF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0

Now, the modules are compiled but the device is not. Here's what
contains hsf.conf :
LOOKUP ^(ttySHSF|modem$) EXECUTE nice /sbin/modprobe hsfserial
REGISTER ^ttySHSF0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink $devname modem
UNREGISTER ^ttySHSF0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink modem
When the hsfserial module is loaded a symlink should be created in /dev called "modem".

What does /dev/modem point to?

Now, problem is the laptop contains only this :
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

Whereas devfs declares this : /dev/ttyS0 -> tts/0
That's com1 on your PC... the regular serial port.

which is declared right here :
[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/modules.devfs |grep tts
alias /dev/tts* serial
alias /dev/ttyS* /dev/tts
alias /dev/cua* /dev/tts

So finally here's the 10.000$ question : What device am i supposed to
declare to finally get my modem device correctly declared and installed
with DevFS. I've spent a couple of hours on the machine and also on the
web following most of the newsgroups messages but no luck so far.
what is /dev/modem pointing to? also, make sure hsfserial is being loaded... when it is loaded look at your /var/log/messages for devfsd saying it creating a device link... send that output... :)

Thanks for any reply (with a solution ;)

Steph

Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology
Phone: 818 354 2903
[EMAIL PROTECTED]