There's something wrong (I think) when I try to install packages from
the installation CD's. Here's a brief history of what's happening. Can
anyone point me in the right direction to go next?

Running Mandrake 9.0, Mandrake Control Center, Install Software. None of
the packages have check marks, even ones that I know are installed. I
check one or more and click the "Install" button. A dialog box appears
saying "Everything is already installed (that's not supposed to happen
is it)".

'rpm -q' from the command line says the checked packages are not
installed. If I use 'urpmi' from the command line, it says it can't find
the sources. 'urpmi -v' shows the command searching the database for all
of the CD's, but still ends by saying it can't find the sources.

I ran 'rpm --rebuilddb', and it made no difference. Besides, 'rpm' seems
to report the correct information (package installed or not installed).
'urpmi' recognizes the package name, even asking about loading
dependencies.

I tried searching the mail list archives and Google. Nothing appeared to
match this problem. 'man urpmi' hasn't shed any light on the problem (of
course that may be a problem my reading comprehension :)

This all started because I was trying to use a joystick. Stumbled upon
the packages 'libjsw1' and 'libjsw1-calibrator'. The 'gameport' kernel
module is already loaded. And I hoped those packages would let me access
the joystick. But I kept running into these problems trying to load the
packages.

All help is appreciated.

--
Robert Wohlfarth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Is not life more important than food, and the body more
important than clothes?" -- Matthew 6:25b