On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Sandeep Khanna wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Question:
> What are the best compiler options for compiling software in general,
> Garnome in specific for my laptop which is a Compaq 12XL125 AMD K6-II
> 533 Mhz 192 Mb RAM 30Gb HDD ?

In my experience there's no magic switch that will improve all software.
There are specific things you can do for particular programs, or parts
of programs, to give a boost, but nothing that works consistently.

You can try looking here:
http://www.suse.de/~aj/SPEC/compare-flags.html

This shows various flags and the resultant change in some benchmarks.
These are for Athlon processors. There are also differences in using
different versions of GCC, but again, not consistent. Though gcc 3.2
seems to be faster in some things, it seems to be slower in others.

I use the following on K6 machines for POVRay:

# CFLAGS = -O6 -DARCH=k6 -DCPU=k6 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer-malign-loops=2