Hello Dan

RAID will make your machine more resistant against hardware crashes, but
is no substitute for a backup (e.g. it does not protect against
intrusions).
If you do decide on mirroring, look for hardware raid (otherwise your
system performance goes down the drain).

Choosing a backup method is another cup of tea.
First ask yourself some questions:
1. what amount of data needs to be backed up?
2. what kind of data do I need to backup (databases?)?
3. Do I need operating system backups for fast recovery, or only data
and configuration files?
4. What is the frequency?  e.g. Weekly full backups, with Nightly
incrementals?
5. Do I want to keep/store historical backups (e.g. the full dumps).
6. The most important one: what is my recovery plan/need (recovering
from a complete crash by re-installing the OS, patching, restoring the
config files and then untarring the data can consume a lot of time).

If you figured this one out, your needs will help you choose between
simple backup scripts (often using tar/gz or afio), or a larger solution
like amanda (on tapes) or even a commercial application.
In the last category, I can recommend Arkeia to you.

I hope this helps, please, don't hesitate to ask if you need further
advice.

Kind regards

Guy

--