I noticed that my systm clock is slower when I use linux, a problem I never had before (when I used windows 98 and then 2000).

I thought the cause could be the operation where linux set the system clock to GMT and then revert it back to local time, so I told Mandrake Config to use the GMT time in the BIOS. It helped a bit but the problem remains.
Note: I use mplayer to watch videos and I changed the RTC permissions in order to be able to use it even as normal user (but only mine). now RTC has root:rtc as owner:group and I belong to the rtc group. Permissions: rw(x)rw-r--. I don't remeber whether root can execute rtc or not (I'm writing from another box).

Is there a way to fix this problem? I lose about 15 minutes per week! And I need to use the rtc because mplayer sucks less power if it's able to use it: unfortunately, that small difference in power allow me to watch divxs.

Thanks
Olaf

Configuration: Celeron 400 chipset sis620, 224 MB ram cas2, 40 GB HD IBM GXP 60, integrated audio CMI 8738, integrated ethernet davicom901A, PCI Vodoo Banshee 16MB (and sis 620 integrated in the chipset, disabled), LG 8080B CD-RW.
hda1 NTFS 8 GB W2K, Reiser for /, Reiser for /home, fat for an exchange partition.
Mandrake 9 download edition.